What’s better than candy? Homemade candy! We learned that it’s really easy to make your own candy, and the best part is that you can customize the flavour to whatever you want! We found this recipe on Averie Cook’s blog.
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar plus 1/4 cup+, if needed
1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/2 teaspoon flavour extract (we chose rum flavouring)
food coloring, optional
- Combine butter and salt and beat for 1 minute on medium-high speed.
- Add 3 1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar, milk, flavouring, and beat on medium-low speed until a dough forms. If the dough seems wet, add additional confectioners’ sugar until dough combines.
- The dough will be crumbly but will come together when pinched and squeezed into a ball.
- Add the butter and salt to the mixer, and cream with.
- Taste-test your dough before rolling it out, it is much easier to add more flavouring while the dough is still in the mixer.
Separate the dough into multiple balls, and begin to roll it into a thin rolls.
Use a butter knife to cut the roll into squares.
When you’re finished, put them in the refrigerator to harden.
Bring out your inner child and enjoy these candies while watching Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.